Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LC Killingbeck

Default Corrupted files (file name too long): How to fix or delete?

"?B?bXNlYm9sZA==?=" wrote in
:

I download various cases in Word format from a legal database. When I
save the file to my computer, I copy the case name and paste it in as
the file name. Occasionally, the file name sometimes contains too
many characters. This results in some sort of file corruption. I
cannot open the file, change its name or properties, or even delete
the file. When I use "file open" in Word and go to the appropriate
folder, the file does not even appear. (The file does appear in the
Windows navigator, but again, I cannot change or delete the file).

How do I fix or delete these files?

Couple more ideas.

(1) Can you drag-and-drop the file onto the RecycleBin on the Desktop? If
so, then File - EmptyRecycleBin might get rid of it. At least it will
be out of your main folder, even if it won't Empty.

(2) If you can drag-and-drop the file, but it won't empty from the
recycle bin, make a temporary folder, drag-and-drop the unwanted file
there, and then delete that temporary folder and all its contents.

Much less likely to do damage than misuse of wildcard deletions via DOS.
(Been there! Done that!) Never tried either idea, but just might work.

If none of this works, ask again a some newsgroup related to your OS.
This is an OS problem, not a Word one, and you'll need help from
people with that OS expertise. I don't follow any such groups.

Lynn Killingbeck