Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Default Another great example of how Word 2007 "brings commands closer to the surface"

Also, if memory serves correctly, years ago Beth helped me with macros to
prevent the vertical and horizonal scroll bars from ever appearing unless I
wanted them (and helped me with a lot of other things as well). It was a
bit of a trick. Word just wanted those ugly scroll bars to keep popping up.
Only serious customization could get around that. But once we had it, it
was never an issue again. I have simple keystrokes to toggle the scrollbars
when I want them, not when Microsoft wants them. My aim in that case and
generally has been to keep all unnecessary clutter out of the Word window.
So I got rid of all toolbar buttons that I don't use, and replaced the
Standard and Formatting toolbars with one simplified toolbar. I never
display the Ruler except when I need it. Also, the blue background screen
is "cooler," easier on the eyes. So the whole look is simple and pleasing
to the eye. To me, the way Word looks when it opens in its default state is
an incredible eyesore.

The other thing for me is to have an integrated environment, where I do
things with the minimum of keystrokes or mouseclicks. For example, I
developed a single key command (Num1) to toggle the Blue background off and
on. I have a single key command (Num2) which not only toggles the
capitalization of a word, but if there's a selection going up to the start
of a word, it cuts the selection and toggles the capitalization of the first
letter of the word immediately following the selection. I have three custom
menus with many macros I use constantly, every one of those macros takes
just two keystrokes, Alt+Letter, Letter. I'm still not sure if it's posible
to replicate something like that in 2007.

Things that take two steps in the older versions (even without my
customizations), take three or more steps in 2007, things that take one step
in the older versions (like opening the Window menu via keystroke) take two
steps in 2007. This is totally unacceptable. The whole point is that
things that you do often be done with the minimum of keystrokes.

So my approach is to make Word's look as simple as possible, and Word's
operation as simple as possible.

Word 2007 is not only the opposite of that, it basically makes it impossible
to customize around it. It imposes so much more on you (that incredibly
complicated, hyperactive Ribbon) and makes it impossible to escape it.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I think it's impossible to persuade you in general, Larry. ;-)

If you want the truth, when I saw the new UI you were one of the first
people that came to mind. I thought, oh my, when Larry sees this he'll

have
a heart attack. I'm thankful to see you've taken a look at it and are

still
around. grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade me that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of operation

was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with you

on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can say

you
that will change your mind...