Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default 1 Page Doc on Windows Is 2 Pages On Mac

Good point on possible minor vertical spacing differences. I compared
the 4 documents by holding them up to the light and attempting to
align the text.

The 2 copies sent to the HP printer from XP and Win 7 line up
perfectly with each other. The 2 sent to the Brother printer from XP
and Win 7 line up perfectly with each other.

However, the Brother output is slightly longer than the HP output by
about 1/2 the height of a size 11 Times New Roman line. As you said,
perhaps not enough to push anything to the next page.

I should add that the Mac forces 2 full lines to the next page so the
difference must be much more than 1/2 the height of a size 11 Times
New Roman line. I'll check that out tonight.

I also checked the drivers under both OS's and here's what's
interesting: The Win 7 machine appears to use the same driver for both
the HP and Brother laser printer: Citrix Universal Printer. The XP
side uses 2 different drivers, a Brother driver specific to my series
of Brother printer and an HP Universal PS Driver for the HP laser.
Yet, as I mentioned, documents printed to the HP printer line up
perfectly with each other as do documents printed to the Brother
printer. In other words, the Citrix Universal Printer and Brother
specific driver line up perfectly when used with the Brother printer
and the Citrix Universal Printer and HP Universal PS driver line up
perfectly when used with the HP printer. However, documents printed
with the common driver (Citrix Universal Printer) do not line up when
comparing the Brother output to the HP output. That would point to the
printers being the issue, not the driver. However, on the Mac, the
document _opens_ on 2 pages which leads us back to the driver
differences - or perhaps something else.

"Do you have Widow/Orphan Control turned on, and/or Keep with
Next?"

On both XP/2003 and Win 7/2010 on my work machine the Widow/Orphan
Control and Keep With Next boxes are unchecked. I'll take a look at
the settings on my home XP/2010 and Mac/2011 machines tonight. Perhaps
that is the issue.

Thanks again!

On Jan 2, 11:17*am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
On Jan 2, 10:21*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

In all 4 cases, (2 different OS environments and 2 different printers)
the full-scale 1 page document printed on 1 page.

But you don't know whether they are otherwise identical -- even in
vertical spacing they might differ, but not enough to send a line to
the next page. (BTW, do you have Widow/Orphan Control turned on, and/
or Keep with Next?)