Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default 1 Page Doc on Windows Is 2 Pages On Mac

I do understand the point you are trying to make. But Word simply isn't
designed to give you full control over page breaks and text positioning. For
that, you'll need page layout software. A simple page layout application is
Publisher; an expensive one is InDesign...

No matter what you use, you may have to resort to PDFs in the end, so that
"everybody" can read it! :-)

Good luck!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Stefan,

Please understand that I am not pushing back on your suggestion, and
that is most likely what we will do.

However, the issue still remains that we could spend substantial
amount of time getting the document to look the way we want on one
system, only to find that we have to change the actual look of the
document because of the scaling issue. Scaling it to fit on one page
on the Mac ensures that it fits on one page when creating the PDF on
the Mac, but it also impacts the side margins, font size (in
appearance only), etc.

In general, it's just a pain to have to deal with the issue since we
never know how the document will look until we do the editing, get it
to one page on her Mac and see how it looks. We have to take it all
the way to the point where creating the PDF is just a few clicks away
so that we know what the PDF will look like. Since most of the updates
will be done on her Mac once she goes back to school, the final edit
and PDF creation is best done on her Mac. When the edits I do screw it
up for her Mac, we end up with the back and forth fixes. Since I am
(slightly) more proficient in Word than she is, I end up doing things
like syle changes, tab alignments, etc.

Maybe I should just buy a Mac! Oh, but wait...then I wouldn't know
what it will look like on a Windows machine...unless I create a
PDF. ;-)

On Jan 4, 2:15 pm, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
As stated elsewhere, keep the Word format as long as you are still
editing
the document, and then convert to PDF.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Creating a PDF has it's merits, but at the moment we are in the
editing mode. My daughter and I worked on the resume on my Windows
machine and got it to fit on one page. I then emailed it to her for
some further editing and that is when we found that the Mac split it
into 2 pages.

Since she will be emailing it out and posting it on application
websites, she will need to scale it down to fit on one page before
creating the PDF.

Yes, that will ensure that the document will display/print on one page
for all recipients, but it will also be uneditable. If she sends the
original Word document back to me for review/editing, I might be able
to get to fit on one page, but she might have to scale it again to get
it back to one page before creating the PDF. For example, one version
fit one page on my Windows machine. She scaled it down to 96% to fit
on one page on her Mac and emailed it back to me. I opened it up on a
different Windows machine and I can fit 4 more lines on one page. If I
send that back to her, she'll need to scale it down even further.

She is a college senior applying for grad schools and assitantships.
The resume evolves as she completes internships and other activities
so I think we may be in editing mode for a while. It just a pain to
have it appear differently as we pass it back and forth.

Thanks!

On Jan 4, 10:32 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:
Send the r sum as a PDF.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Jan 1, 6:13 pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

Different printer driver.

On Jan 1, 4:35 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I am working on a document in Word 2010 for Windows that will be
sent
to a user running Word 2011 on a Mac.

The document just fits on 1 page on my Windows machine(s), but
when
email it to the 2011 user and then open it on the Mac, it places
the
last two lines of the document on the second page.

If I scale it to 96% in Page Setup it fits on one page.

I've checked the margins, the font and font sizes and everything
matches. I even checked that the Mac's default printer is the
same
printer as my Windows machine.

Is this a known issue with 2010 vs. 2011 or is there some
setting I
need to change on the Windows side so that the document will
look
the
same on both systems?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

That was my guess also, although the Mac is set up to print to the
same default my printer as my PC is - the USB printer attached to my
PC which the Mac prints to over the wireless network.

Does that mean that there is no way to know whether a document will
print on one page when sent to another Word user?

In this case, the document is a resume and we are trying to get it
be one page long regardless of who we send it to. A resume loses a
lot
of impact if the last 1 or 2 lines ends up on a second page. The
recipient will probably not know that it is a printer driver issue.
They will most likely think that the applicant set it up that way,
which could reflect badly on the applicant.- Hide quoted text -