Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
WebColin

Default Any way to copy layout and styles from one doc to another?

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. :-(

I should acknowledge that I may have misused the term "template." I simply
created a new document (.doc) file that has all the styles and page
formatting I want the resulting documents to have. It's not actually a
TEMPLATE in any technical sense.

But I have dozens of documents, each with many sections. I dread copying
them over one section at a time.

In WordPerfect, I could simply grab the style formatting in Reveal Codes,
and paste it over the Style formatting in the older documents. I guess
there's no equivalent in Word?

Thanks for any additional suggestions,
Colin

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The styles can be imported into the documents by attaching the new
template
with "Automatically update document styles" checked, but this procedure
will
have no effect on the document layout (margins, header/footer, and other
document/section properties). Truly the easiest way to take care of all of
this is to create a new blank document based on your template and paste
the
text in, one section at a time, without section breaks (which would import
the formatting). See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...ectionInfo.htm

so
all may benefit.

"WebColin" wrote in message
Or maybe someone can suggest an alternative solution. Here's my
situation:

I have several large documents with many sections each. They are set up
correctly using styles for most formatting (headings, normal text, etc.).

want to reformat all of them to use the styles and layout I've created in

separate template document. Specifically, I want to replace the page

layouts
(margins), and paragraph styles (normal, headings, etc.) with the ones

I've
created in the template.

I'm hoping I can just copy the styles from the template doc over to each

of
these documents. What I don't want to do, because it will be a lot of

work,
is copy the text over, piece by piece, and paste it into my new template
doc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Colin