Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lincoln

Default Normal.dot increases in size

Word 2003. I give a user a clean copy of normal.dot (one that has our
customisations in it, and that everyone gets a copy of). It is 29KB.
We put the file in the correct location (that Word looks for under Tools |
Options | File Locations | User Templates.)
She opens Word, then closes Word without making any changes or doing any
typing.
The normal.dot template has increased in size to forty something KB's.
She repeats opening and closing Word, and normal.dot is now 63KB. The next
time it is 80KB.

We have swept for viruses and found none. I am meeting with her on Tuesday
11 April, and would appreciate any ideas about what could be making the
template increase in size.

Setting Tools | Options | Save | Prompt to Save would help, but would not be
a proper fix.

Thanks in advance.