garfield-n-odie

What font is the document in? If the font is internally defined in the font
file as a symbol font, then hyphenation rules don't apply. You can
indirectly determine whether this is the problem by pressing Ctrl+A to select
all of the text and changing the font to Times New Roman or Arial.

"EricC" wrote:

I've somehow created a Word document in which words are broken at any point
where the word happens to hit the end of a line. I don't think it's a problem
with hypenation, as the words are being broken in ways which obviously don't
follow the normal rules of hyphenation.