Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
feline1

Default OpenType Fonts in Word

Suzanne, are you just drawing that conclusion from observation,
or is it actually documented anywhere?

(I've been searching Word's own help, and microsoft.com,
but so far I haven't discovered any info on the subject -
there are some more exotic looking features on dialogues
for international text, but they're not expilictly labelled as
being to do with OpenType -
As far as ordinary Latin text goes, in the Format Font dialogs
for example, there's mainly just all this rubbish about "marching ants"
and the like - I somehow doubt that's OpenType functionality :0)

It's funny, cos Microsoft have been one of the big developers of OpenType,
and www.microsoft.com/typography is full of papers and developer
resources dealing with it - you'd think they'd implement it in their
own main application for dealing with text!