garfield-n-odie

Since this problem occurs with both new and existing documents, the
problem is probably because you have not activated your Word/Office
software, or because you have an expired trial version of Office 2003.
What happens if you start Word and click on Help | Activate Product? If
you are already activated, a dialog box saying so will appear. If you
are not activated, the Activation Wizard will start. If you have an
expired trial version, a dialog box will prompt you to enter a valid
product key or purchase a key online.

Louise wrote:

When I try and create a new document in word or make changes to a recent
document I get the message that the document is "locked for edit"

Can anyone help? How do I unlock it?

Many thanks

Louise