Fyodor Soloview Fyodor Soloview is offline
Junior Member

Location: Anchorage, Alaska

I fixed the same problem the following way.

Left-click on START,

Right-click on MY COMPUTER,

Right-click on EXPLORE,

Left-click on TOOLS,

Left-click on FOLDER OPTIONS,

Left-click on FILE TYPES,

Scroll down the EXTENSIONS column (in alphabetical order) until you get the word DOC next to the Microsoft Word logo, and in the right column in the same row you read "Microsoft Word Documents",

Click at this entire row to make at active (making it blue),

You will see the button RESTORE down the same screen. You may read, before clicking RESTORE, about the changes which have been made with Word; that is why we could not open Word documents by simply double-clicking on it. Why these changes happened, we may never understand. In my case, they happened immediately after I downloaded some program to help me read the document with the extension "pages". Indeed, I could read after that this document with extension "pages" being created on Apple computer, but this program changed somehow the ability to open Word documents with simple double-click.

Click the button RESTORE. You are done! Nothing else needed. You do not even have to click button OK to close the screen. But do it anyway.

Now you can open the Word documents by doing double-click!