enolalum

Default mail merge using Word and Excel doesn't work correctly

In Office XP Professional, using Excel 2002 spreadsheet as data source for
Word 2002 letter merge worked many times before and now doesn't. The zip code
field changes from 5-9 digits to zero in about 1/3 of the letters. Remaining
2/3 of letters merge correctly. The zip codes that change are not just those
with a zero at the beginning of the 5-9 digits. Some of the 9 digits zip
codes change to zero now but didn't previously.

If I use a previously saved version of the spreadsheet, the merge prints out
correctly. However, if I make changes to the spreadsheet, some of the zip
code fields print as zero again. I have been using a version of the letter
and spreadsheet for over a year without any problems, until now.