I'll tell you how to do this if you will accept that, unless you are going
to trim the edges of the paper, you won't be able to use the tabs as you
expect (because most printers can't print to the edge of the page).

"Rabbit Farmer" Rabbit wrote in message
I am putting together a manual. I want the number 1 to be printed in a

red
box about 3 inches down the page for each page within chapter 1 (could be

20
pages in length). Then, for chapter 2, I want the number 2 to be printed

in
a blue box about 5 inches down the page for each page in chapter 2 and so

on.
Each chapter will have its chapter number in a small colored box (ok for
boxes to all be black with a white number). Then, then looking at the

edge
of the manual, I will be able to see where chapter one is, chapter 2, etc.
For you VW folks out there... think of the VW Rabbit Bentley manual for an
example.

Thanks for your help!
Steve