Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rebecca Rebecca is offline

Default A Better Solution?

I apologize that this is not exactly a question (except for one in the last
paragraph), but it would be nice to hear some comments or suggestions.

Using a Fijitsu ScanSnap scanner, I scanned (at a "very good" resolution) an
entire book of 350 pages, which has many color pictures, using Acrobat 7.0.
The resulting PDF was 154 megabytes. I then saved this PDF as a htm file,
opened it in MS Word 2003 or 2007 (same results in both), and saved it as a
word document. The resulting doc size is a teensy-weensy 21 KB, and the file
(which is broken up into 350 separate pages, just as in the original PDF) is
as readible as a PDF (and more navigational after I add some page numbers,
links, and the like -- this process can be automated). OCR-ing takes too much
time (and I have to proofread the files anyway), so just having images of the
book in one MS Word file is a workable solution. And with a Tablet PC the
images are inkable for annotations and the like.

If I scan directly into Word or other programs, I get huge files, no matter
how much I fiddle with the resolutions, file types, or compressions. Using a
ADF I'm currently scanning all the thousands of books and articles scattered
here and there in my library (for my personal use, so no copyright issues),
and I will be able to carry my portable (and searchable) library around on my
(under 2 pound) Tablet PC.

I've tried to import jpeg images into other programs such as OneNote,
AskSam, UltraRecall, you name it, but the resulting size of the files bloats
to intolerable levels. PDF files take up too much space (and are slow when
navigating). Does anyone have a better solution other than the one I
mentioned above?