See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/DocInUse.htm

"June" wrote in message
No, I didn't save anything to the CD. I tried, but it
didn't work. And there are now over 30 of these tmp
files using up all my disk space. As I mentioned, I did
delete them and they came right back! I have no idea how
they do that, but I truly need to get rid of them.

Also, for the very first time, "My Documents" shows a
Back-up file for every single document I have. I never
had this before. It began when the tmp files showed up.
I was terribly worried while editing this book when I
found I couldn't save my changes, since the computer said
I had no disk space left. I have plenty of space, but
not with these files. Plus, the screen says I can't
delete them because someone is using them, yet I have no
documents open!