Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGF1cmE=?=,

The problem occurs when the Word document is LOCKED. Parts of my document
are form-protected for other users, but since it is meant to be a sort of
template, they need to be able to reference a different spreadsheet file for
the excel charts. I have tried to retain the Edit/Links & ALT+F9
functionality by placing the excel charts in UNPROTECTED SECTIONS of the word
document, but the Edit/Links ability disappears completely when the LOCK is
flipped on.

Right. Sorry for going 'round the ring again; got a bit distracted...

Try it with this macro, assigned to a toolbar button/and or keyboard shortcut

Sub ToggleFieldCodesInForm()
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = _
Not ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes
End Sub

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org