Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
StargateFanFromWork StargateFanFromWork is offline

Default W2K: labels thrown "out of whack" when cell or table margins changed? How to fix ... ?

I absolutely must have cell margins that are at about 0.05" around the
insides of Avery-sized labels #5167. Before changing the margins, the pages
of labels are aligned and positioned correctly. The instant I change them
to 0.05", the rows all become misaligned and a standard sheet has a row
pushed off to the next page. About halfway throught the first page, the
labels contents are printing half off the labels.

The text before and after the merge in no way is too much for each cell and
I made sure that the "automatically resize to fit contents" option is not
selected in the table options of the table properties so I'm at a loss to
figure out what is going on. The labels are not always printing correctly
from sheet to sheet as, I'm sure most with experience have found, different
batches of labels come out slight differently placed. I've not done much
mail merge or label work as was the case back in my old word-processing
days, but at the time I had working templates with table margins that worked
for any label batches that came along. Through trial and error one
eventually finds the margins that work to the maximums of label production
offset and 0.05" is about the minimum to accommodate these offsets.
Certainly, 0.08" (tEventually a margin is found that accommodates all slight
variations between label stocks. But if I can't change the margins and
retain the integrity of labels, then I'm stuck. Does anyone know what to do
in this situation? I don't know what else to look at. 0.05" is not even my
preference for label margins. In WP days, I'd use the standard WP size of
0.05" and I used to use 5167 even back then.

Stuck and hoping someone here knows a good solution to this. Thanks! D