Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
StargateFanFromWork StargateFanFromWork is offline

Default labels thrown "out of whack" when cell or table margins changed? How to fix ... ?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
IMO if it works, stick with it.

True lol. But it's good to have a reserve solution for when the first
one ends up not working at some point. I experimented with the paragraph
spacing, btw, in a new Word table doct. I happened to be creating and the
paragraph spacing didn't work there (case in point). Fortunately, cell
margin editing could be done in that case since it was not a merge doct.
with a small tricky label, etc. Anyway, it's always good to have more than
one way of doing something.

Something I noticed when experimenting with this was that the Word display
was quite unstable when I modified the cell margins - i.e. it seemed to be
updating continually. That could be just a problem with the display
drivers, especially I as use a virtual machine to go back to the older
versions of Word,, but it could also be a sign that the feature (or its
implementation) requires a lot of processing.

That's what that slight flickering must have been ... ! I couldn't figure
out what that was though it was so slight that I thought it might be my
system having too much to process at once besides Word.

Anyway, thanks. Close to fixing this, there's just the issue of the extra
row (as per the other message in this thread). Cheers. D

Peter Jamieson
"StargateFanFromWork" wrote in message
"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
As far as I can tell, when you adjust the cell margin, Word actually
modifies the cell size (or at least, the height - I haven't even
considered the width). It wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is a
well-known "feature".

I had to switch to using points as my measurement unit to see the
changes with any precision, but with this label layout, before changing
the cell margins, the first line of text in the first row was at 36pt
according to the display in the status bar, and and the first line of
the second row was at 72pt.

After changing the cell margins to 0.05in, the equivalent values were
39.6pt and 79pt, and the cells were pushed over to the next page.
Selecting the table and changing the row height to 32.4pt to compensate
was enought to get all the labels back on one page, but whether it's
what you need is another question.

Peter Jamieson

Interesting, thank you! I"ll definitely take a look at this. Doug's
recommendation involving changing spacing to the left and right of, and
before and after paragraphs _seems_ to be working so far. Though this
not something one would intuitively think of as as a solution (who would
ever think of a cell in terms of a paragraph?), I'm just glad that
something works. But I'll check into your solution above. I always
learn something new when I try out a new technique.

Thanks. D

"StargateFanFromWork" wrote in message
I absolutely must have cell margins that are at about 0.05" around the
insides of Avery-sized labels #5167. Before changing the margins, the
pages of labels are aligned and positioned correctly. The instant I
change them to 0.05", the rows all become misaligned and a standard
sheet has a row pushed off to the next page. About halfway throught the
first page, the labels contents are printing half off the labels.

The text before and after the merge in no way is too much for each cell
and I made sure that the "automatically resize to fit contents" option
is not selected in the table options of the table properties so I'm at
a loss to figure out what is going on. The labels are not always
printing correctly from sheet to sheet as, I'm sure most with
experience have found, different batches of labels come out slight
differently placed. I've not done much mail merge or label work as was
the case back in my old word-processing days, but at the time I had
working templates with table margins that worked for any label batches
that came along. Through trial and error one eventually finds the
margins that work to the maximums of label production offset and 0.05"
is about the minimum to accommodate these offsets. Certainly, 0.08"
(tEventually a margin is found that accommodates all slight variations
between label stocks. But if I can't change the margins and retain the
integrity of labels, then I'm stuck. Does anyone know what to do in
this situation? I don't know what else to look at. 0.05" is not even
my preference for label margins. In WP days, I'd use the standard WP
size of 0.05" and I used to use 5167 even back then.

Stuck and hoping someone here knows a good solution to this. Thanks!