Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 Learning Curve

Paul

That is yet another serious shortcoming of the implementation of the new
interface. I am amazed that Microsoft could not foresee that if the Ribbon
is locked for mere mortals (standard Users) to edit and that they are
'supposed' to use the QAT, there needs to be a way to distinguish between
the buttons - just like on the Ribbon!

But the user research team employed at huge expense by Microsoft said that
normal users never change their toolbars and such. Obviously they were not
monitoring real users and took the results at face value.

Terry

"Paul Gauci" wrote in message
Yes Ok I have tried the QAT approach but I disovered that some of the
icons
for different commands look exactly alike and there is no fast-and-easy
way
to edit the icons as we were able to do with 2003.

I am now trying out the pschmid Ribbon Customiser. However, I still have
find out how to customise the ribbon.

--
Paul Gauci

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Use the QAT as much as possible to collect your most frequently used
tools.
One good thing about Office 2007 is that it's really easy to add items to
the QAT. Right-click what you want, and choose Add to Quick Access
Toolbar.
The other thing that will make it less of a pain (literally) is to move
the
QAT to below the ribbon. That way, it will a shorter mouse journey, and
easier to access. (Right-click the QAT and choose "Show QAT Below the
Ribbon".) The QAT has been my salvation.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"JMB" wrote in message
Herb and Susan, thanks for the useful feedback. Like Herb I have no
choice,
with my company about to make a massive migration to Vista and Office
2007.
And I can't afford to loose much time and productivity because of this.
Hence
my present preparatory work at home in my spare time. So I'll have to
bite
the bullet, but this looks like it is going to be a very tough and
bitter
one. Quite frankly I fail to understand what Microsoft was/is thinking.
Preparing a new document or spreadsheet seems to be all about coping
with
the
user interface and appearances now, and in the meantime many people
seem
forget what it is really about, i.e. the contents of the message ...
The
next
release has been aptly code named MS Office HAB (Hot Air Balloon). On
the
other hand I suppose it is also fair to point out that I'm not getting
any
younger and possibly my flexibility to adjust is no longer what it used
be.

--
JMB

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

When I agreed to write a book about Word 2007, I faced exactly the
same
problem you're facing. But, because Word 2007 was the object rather
than
the
means, I had no choice in the matter. At the outset, I was using Word
2003
to write the book, but at some point, critical productivity mass was
achieved, and I found that new Word 2007 features made me more
productive,
and so I wrote the last half of the book using Word 2007.

I don't know if there are "classic" interface tools for Excel, but
there
are
several for Word 2007:

http://www.addintools.com/english/menuword/

http://pschmid.net/blog/2007/04/20/111

I believe that the second option is free. So, for Word, at least, you
have
at least three choices:

1. Bite the bullet and learn Word 2007, knowing that Word 14 will
surely
build on Word 2007/12 rather than on Word 2003/11; this is the best
option
if you need to keep up with future versions of Word. If it's hard to
get
used to the new interface now in Word 12, it will only be more
difficult
several years from now with Word 14.

2. Use a classic interface tool, relying on it when you're in a hurry,
but
otherwise dabbling and gradually learning the ribbon approach. This is
good option if Word 2007 has features that you need, but you don't
need
learn Word 2007 in a hurry. There are other learning aids you can use,
as
well, such as the interactive guide that shows you where to find Word
2007
commands and features:
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...HA100744321033.

3. Revert to Word 2003. This is a good option if Word 2003 provides
everything you need and if you won't need to work with documents that
rely
upon Word 2007-specific features that aren't preserved when using the
Office
2007 Compatibility Pack.

A 4th option--not incompatible with #1 and #2--is to set up Word
2007's
Quick Access Toolbar so that it contains your most-used tools from
Word
2003
(do the same for Excel 2007). This is the approach I use for my
everyday
work, and it has alleviated a lot of Word 2007's ergonomic
inefficiencies.
One approach to this is shown he

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...more-familiar/

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com
"JMB" wrote in message
I'll make an honest attempt to give this question/feedback a
positive
twist.
I have been using Word/Excel etc. for years now and consider myself
somewhat
of an expert user. Now I have a new computer with Vista and Office
2007.
And
I essentially find myself facing this predicament of going up an
enormously
steep learning curve, i.e. relearning how to wordprocess and
spreadsheet
almost from scratch all over again. The new and improved of Office
2007
apps
may look much more "politically correct" than in previous versions,
but
so
far my experience has been that it can hardly get any less user
friendly
and
more convoluted than this. I'm giving it a very serious try here,
but
I'm
also beginning to think about throwing in the towel. Anybody out
there
that
can offer any useful advice as to how I can actually start using the
Office
2007 applications without letting all my previous experience and
know-how
completely go to waste?
--
JMB