Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anderflash Anderflash is offline

Default How to add a condition in an includepicture with mergefield

Serafim, tell me what kind of database you're using to the mail merge,
because with an Access database, I can't update automaticaly the pictures by
navigating from one record to another, I see diferent pictures only if I
merge to a new document or to a printer. But if I use a Word table as a
source for my mail merge, I can.
And another question: If I put pictures inside an Ole object field in a
Access database, I can't throw them to the Word's mail merge, I can throw
only text (in this case, the Word will see a code like 130021230). Is there a
solution?

Thanks

"Serafim" wrote:

Hi Macropod,

For my purposes I changed your instruction just a little and for my surprise
it works much better than I expected {INCLUDEPICTURE {IF{MERGEFIELD photo}=""
"X" {MERGEFIELD photo}.
It's not necessary to merge to printer, nor to merge to a new document and
Ctrl+A and F9. It´s not even necessary to merge, if we simply navigate from
one record to another, the picture is updated. The picture is always updated.
I think it's great.

"macropod" escreveu:

Hi Graham,

Here's a workaround:
{INCLUDEPICTURE {IF{MERGEFIELD Num} 10 {MERGEFIELD MergePic}
NoMergePic}}
where 'NoMergePic' is the name of a file containing the 'no picture for this
record' string as an image.

For an apparently blank result, you could use a 1-pixel transparent
'NoMergePic'.

Cheers

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
No - that doesn't work. During the merge to a new document the picture

from
the conditional statement becomes hard wired into the document and cannot

be
updated. I can't see a way round this at the moment.

macropod wrote:
Hi tinous,

Try:
{IF{MERGEFIELD num} 10 {INCLUDEPICTURE {MERGEFIELD
beautifulpicture}}}

Cheers

"tinous" wrote in message
Hi,

I know how to add a varying picture in a mailmerge : {INCLUDEPICTURE
MERGEFORMAT {MERGEFIELD beautifulpicture}} (and after the merge
CRT A + PF9 to refresh)

I know how to add a condition to add or not a field using the "If
then else "
{IF {MERGEFIELD num} 10 {MERGEFIELD aaa} {MERGEFIELD bbb} }

What I want to do, now, is to mix the two and have
"beautifulpicture' added ony if num 10 .

If I code
{IF {MERGEFIELD num} 10 {INCLUDEPICTURE MERGEFORMAT {MERGEFIELD
beautifulpicture}} "no picture for this record" } the result is not
OK. (the same picture is added (always the first even after CTR A +
PF9)).

Is somebody can help me, please?

Thanks

--