Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anderflash Anderflash is offline

Default How to add a condition in an includepicture with mergefield

Graham, before I met this newsgroup, I had seen your site and I liked very
much about fields' math. Thanks for the knowledge.

I think your answer is for my second question, about ole object in Access
database to a mail merge.
And to my first question? Do I get the effect of change the photos
automaticaly by navigating between records in a mail merge with an Access
database or I only get the photos updated by merging to a new document?
If this is the normal behavior, the effect would be an interesting feature
to the new office, and also it would be very good if Word recognizes type of
the Access fields, because imagine your mail merge with fields about music,
like a mail merge about music player, you navigate from one record to another
and listen different musics, or different videos, or different charts without
using VBA...

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

This is normal behaviour - see http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

Anderflash wrote:
Serafim, tell me what kind of database you're using to the mail merge,
because with an Access database, I can't update automaticaly the
pictures by navigating from one record to another, I see diferent
pictures only if I merge to a new document or to a printer. But if I
use a Word table as a source for my mail merge, I can.
And another question: If I put pictures inside an Ole object field in
a Access database, I can't throw them to the Word's mail merge, I can
throw only text (in this case, the Word will see a code like
130021230). Is there a solution?

Thanks

"Serafim" wrote:

Hi Macropod,

For my purposes I changed your instruction just a little and for my
surprise it works much better than I expected {INCLUDEPICTURE
{IF{MERGEFIELD photo}="" "X" {MERGEFIELD photo}.
It's not necessary to merge to printer, nor to merge to a new
document and Ctrl+A and F9. It´s not even necessary to merge, if we
simply navigate from one record to another, the picture is updated.
The picture is always updated. I think it's great.

"macropod" escreveu:

Hi Graham,

Here's a workaround:
{INCLUDEPICTURE {IF{MERGEFIELD Num} 10 {MERGEFIELD MergePic}
NoMergePic}}
where 'NoMergePic' is the name of a file containing the 'no picture
for this record' string as an image.

For an apparently blank result, you could use a 1-pixel transparent
'NoMergePic'.

Cheers

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
No - that doesn't work. During the merge to a new document the
picture from the conditional statement becomes hard wired into the
document and cannot be updated. I can't see a way round this at
the moment.

macropod wrote:
Hi tinous,

Try:
{IF{MERGEFIELD num} 10 {INCLUDEPICTURE {MERGEFIELD
beautifulpicture}}}

Cheers

"tinous" wrote in message
Hi,

I know how to add a varying picture in a mailmerge :
{INCLUDEPICTURE MERGEFORMAT {MERGEFIELD beautifulpicture}}
(and after the merge CRT A + PF9 to refresh)

I know how to add a condition to add or not a field using the "If
then else "
{IF {MERGEFIELD num} 10 {MERGEFIELD aaa} {MERGEFIELD bbb} }

What I want to do, now, is to mix the two and have
"beautifulpicture' added ony if num 10 .

If I code
{IF {MERGEFIELD num} 10 {INCLUDEPICTURE MERGEFORMAT {MERGEFIELD
beautifulpicture}} "no picture for this record" } the result is
not OK. (the same picture is added (always the first even after
CTR A + PF9)).

Is somebody can help me, please?

Thanks

--