Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike Mike is offline

Default How do I lock the header in MS Word?

With regard to locking the header, I had a similar issue this morning which
is how I found your post, and noticed that Word 2007 has a Content Protection
system. Try the following:

* Display the Developer Tab on the ribbon. (Open word options, then click
the check-box in the Popular section.)
* With your template open, navigate to the Developer tab.
* Click the Protect Document button. (You should see a sidebar.)
* Under Editing Restrictions, click "Allow only this type of editing in the
document" and set the dropdown to "No changes (Read only)"
* Click somewhere in your template that isn't the header/footer and hold
Ctrl-A to select all.
* Under the Exceptions part of the sidebar now displayed in Editing
restrictions, click the check-box for 'Everyone'. In other words, your
entire document is read-only except for the main part in the middle, which
can be edited by everyone.
* Click the "Yes, Start Enforcing Protection" button, and set a password if
you want to.

At least I think this works for a couple of templates we have where we don't
really want people tinkering with some of the content. Keep in mind that
this probably won't prevent people from finding a way to create a document
that doesn't match your template if they really want to, but it might help to
stop them from changing bits accidentally.

"cyberpear" wrote:

I would like to lock the header in MS Word 2007, so that no one cant touch it
.. it's my company letter head.

Also even though i use MS 2007, but when i save the file, i still have to
save it as 2003 as the most pc in the office still 2003.

Thanks.