Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

Default Nasty trick saving hyperlinks in crashes

The only times I've ever had Word crash are (a) when running macros
that contained mistakes, (b) when beta testing new releases that
contain bugs, and (c) when loading corrupted documents sent by other
users. Being lucky has little to do with it, but being careful is the
key.

There's also a corollary to Murphy's law involved: Just as carrying an
umbrella at all times seems to prevent rain, having current backups at
all times prevents crashes. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:41:02 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I don't get more than three or four Word crashes per year. I guess I'm just
lucky--or careful.

"Greg" wrote in message
roups.com...
Thanks, Anne, for a couple of nice links, and for the tip on Alt+F9,
which will really help me clean things up.

I don't get more than 3 or 4 Word crashes a week. I have one file
with over 1,000 hyperlinks that seems to crash repeatedly when it
decides to crash. Of course, I try to save repeatedly, but as hard as I
try something always seems to get away from me.

Anne Troy wrote:
I can't imagine that Word would crash so much that you'd find it a

hardship
that the hyperlinks don't work, so perhaps you should do some things to

keep
Word from crashing so much:
1.

http://www.officearticles.com/misc/h...hard_drive.htm
2.

http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm
However, you can hit Alt+F9 to see the hyperlink CODE, and then you can
easily Find/Replace within hyperlinks.

************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's nice of Word to save unsaved files when it crashes, but it
messes up hyperlinks. Example: The displayed text is MyInfo and the
hyperlink is D:\Help\MyInfo.doc. After a crash the hyperlink becomes
C:\Documents and Settings\Help\MyInfo.doc.

A. Is there any way of stopping this happening?
B. Is there any way of correcting these changes with Search and
Replace?