Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Default Master Sub Documents (Thesis writing with Word)

Hi Nick

A regular .doc file isn't a template. Only a .dot file is a template. Well,
actually Word is smarter than that. It recognizes the file structure, not
the extension. If you take a document and re-name it as a .dot, it's still a
document. You can create a new, clean template at File New and choose to
create a template. Or save an existing document as a template.

Also, I think it would be better to leave the numbering of the headlines
for the end.

That's OK. But I would recommend that you plan early for everything related
to headings (not "headlines", by the way), and that includes: page
numbering, caption numbering for tables and figures, cross-references to
tables and figures, the table of contents, table of figures, appendix
numbering, and numbering pages figures tables etc within appendixes etc.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Nick H." niko25at@NOSPAM (at) yahoo.de wrote in message
Hi Shauna,

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 01:07:27 +1100, Shauna Kelly wrote:

Using a template that contains the styles you intend to use in your
document(s) is generally a good thing. You can also store customizations
your toolbar in the template, and they will only be available when you
work
on documents created from that template.

A template that is a regular .doc-file which has some formatting to it, or
a .dot-file.

If I do a .dot-file, I would use that initially and save the worked-on
file
separately.

--
Nick H.