Stefan Blom

Default Inserting Doc1 into Doc2

I'm glad I could help.

I agree with you that it can be confusing that the Options dialog has
both application-wide and document-specific settings. The advantage of
the dialog box is of course that it keeps most of the available Word
options in one place.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Geoff" wrote in message
Stefan,

Very many thanks for your reply. You hit the nail on the head!

I investigated your suggestion today by reconstructing a bad
Doc2. (I had just dumped my old bad Doc2 as I had built a good
version from a new template, based on the good Doc1. I had no
idea why this strategy worked, but I do now!)

The compatibility options were not the same. Doc1 had no
compatibility options selected. Doc2 had been constructed from
an older template that had 10 options selected, two of which I
think were responsible for stretching the document:vertically
and changing the captions to pictures; namely:

1. Use Printer Metrics to layout document (which "increased"
line-spacing).
2. Layout Autoshapes like Word 97 (which affected captions).

I think of the Tools Options dialog as being for general Word
options (not for specific document options), so did not think to
look there. (The same gotcha applies to Access 2000's
compact-on-close option.)

I am very pleased that my understanding has improved thanks to
your assistance.

Go well!
Geoff

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Are compatibility options the same for both documents? Check

in
ToolsOptions, Compatibility tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Geoff" wrote in message

Word 2000:

I'm having trouble with layout when inserting Doc1 into

Section
2 of Doc2.

I have used styles in Doc1 for formatting headings and
paragraphs (which are outline-numbered). I have inserted

Doc1
into Doc2 (Section 2) and have imported the styles from Doc1
into Doc2 to ensure formatting is the same.

I have checked - the headings and paragraphs in Doc1 and

Doc2
use the same fonts, line-spacing and Space Before and Space
After. Also Page Setup is the same in both documents.

The one difference (I think is irrelevant) is Doc1 and Doc2
(Section 2) do not have a Header, but Doc2 does have a

Header in
Section 1.

Despite the apparent similarity of Doc1 and Doc2:

1. Doc2 (Section 2) is more spread out down the page, ie
there is more vertical distance between headings and

paragraphs
in Doc2 (Section2) than in Doc1.

2. Captions above pictures in Doc1 are below pictures in
Doc2. I know this happens when settings leave insufficient
distance between the picture anchor and the picture. So the
good Doc1 distance is too small in Doc2.

Something is stretching Doc2 downwards.
Any clues?

TIA
Geoff