+-Steve-+

Will do.

"JulieD" wrote in message
Hi Steve

i would suggest having a good read of Shauna Kelly's notes on styles &
numbering, bullets, headings & outlines on her web page at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/index.html

i could never get the hang of outline numbering (1 1.1 1.1.1 etc) until i
read shauna's article and now it works everytime (yay!)

Cheers
JulieD

"+-Steve-+" wrote in message
I'm sure that I'm not using Word the way it was intended to be used. I
know that I need to get control of Styles but I am very confused about
how to do this.

I am working on a document that is a specification and it is filled with
numbering 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, with table of contents. I am finding
that when I try to move things around I get mixed up Styles and margins.
Then I try to reset the Style and end up making a another Style that is
derivative of one of the original ones. I have lots of Styles that don't
aren't what I want.

Ideally I would like to take thisdocument and strip out all the Style
information.

Then build about ten styles -- one for each Heading 1, Heading 1.1,
Heading 1.1.1., etc. and one for each body of text under each heading, so
Body 1, Body 1.1, Body 1.1.1, .etc and maybe a few more.

Then I would like to lock down the Styles so that they couldn't change.

Then set Word so that I can't make any more Styles in that document.

Then reassign each paragraph with the appropriate Style.

Does this make sense?

SteveK