TF

Steve

In the template yes: by write protecting the template.
In a document, not really. This is something that (we hope) will be
dramatically improved in the next version of Office. However, I found at
work that a combination of creating templates that restrict the Styles
Available and make them easily accessible by creating a custom Toolbar with
style buttons has reduced 95% of the garbage that I used to find in
documents!

Terry

"+-Steve-+" wrote in message
:
: It really would help to have know which version of Word you are using?!
: Forgot to mention Office2003.
:
: I'm going to read the two references that you and another have
recommended.
:
: However, let's start by stating that the heading styles you are
referring
: are using Outline Numbering. You should strive to keep to Word's
built-in
: styles names for Headings because it makes it easier to create a ToC -
: though this isn't absolutely necessary. So what you need to do is to
: create
: a template and ensure that all the customised styles are stored with the
: template. In Word 2003, you have more control over styles and are able
: define which styles are displayed with that template. If you write
protect
: your template, it will stop users being able to make any permanent
change
: the template styles - although they may make changes on a document that
: they
: create from the template.
:
: I understand the value of using a .dot to start with but is there a way to
: keep others (or myself for that matter) from accidentally adding or
editing
: Styles?
:
:
:
:
: I recommend that you take a look at some of the tutorials linked on the
: site
: below, particularly the two 'Creating a Template' articles which should
: get
: you pointing the right way.
:
: http://word.mvps.org/Tutorials/index.htm
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
:
: "+-Steve-+" wrote in message
: ...
: : I'm sure that I'm not using Word the way it was intended to be used.
: know
: : that I need to get control of Styles but I am very confused about how
: do
: : this.
: :
: : I am working on a document that is a specification and it is filled
with
: : numbering 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, with table of contents. I am
finding
: that
: : when I try to move things around I get mixed up Styles and margins.
: Then
: I
: : try to reset the Style and end up making a another Style that is
: derivative
: : of one of the original ones. I have lots of Styles that don't aren't
: what
: I
: : want.
: :
: : Ideally I would like to take thisdocument and strip out all the Style
: : information.
: :
: : Then build about ten styles -- one for each Heading 1, Heading 1.1,
: Heading
: : 1.1.1., etc. and one for each body of text under each heading, so Body
: 1,
: : Body 1.1, Body 1.1.1, .etc and maybe a few more.
: :
: : Then I would like to lock down the Styles so that they couldn't
change.
: :
: : Then set Word so that I can't make any more Styles in that document.
: :
: : Then reassign each paragraph with the appropriate Style.
: :
: : Does this make sense?
: :
: : SteveK