Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
xppuser xppuser is offline

Default Starting page numbering 21 at page 21 but no numbering precedi

hi Suzanne and Terry,

Thank you again for both comments. I'll describe a typical chapter as an
example.

I use built-in Heading 1 level for say Chapter 1, followed then by some
paragraphs of text then sub-headings, again using built-in Heading 2 and 3
(and for the whole document - only up to Heading 3 and no more). Within each
chapter I have either a table or tables and/or figure of figures (for which I
used built-in caption-ing). Because of the requirement by my organization
that table, tables, figure or figures must be on individual page, I have used
section break next page if the next page going to contain table(s) or
figure(s) and following either table(s) or figure(s) or the beginning of the
next chapter.

However, now, I have tried page break for all pages to just before page 20
and inserted section break next page on page 20. Even after these changes,
all the pages are still showing from 1 - 21. I don't seem to be able to
somehow forced words not to display the first 20 pages page numbering. I
tried 'unlinking' headers/footers on page 20 - in spite of this, the page
numbering still showed up!

The other thing that I have tried (in light of Terry's comments) is to do
away with page breaks and section breaks altogether for the first twenty
pages, again I was not able to make that the first page numbering is page 21
beginning at page 21.

Suzanne, I am intrigued by StyleRef fields - would you be able to give me
pointers as to how to utlize this? If this can be co-apted into my document
to solve the numbering, then I would give this a go.

Terry, I hope the above description of my document helps.

This is one vexing problem! I hope there is further pointer(s) and advice.

Thank you again for your input.

jes