Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

Default Word applies direct format on File open

Graham, I'm afraid you're still missing my points.

OK I'll concede that

Graham, I hate to say this, but you're STILL missing the points. Are you
actually reading my posts? It's very kind of you to spend time posting
figured out what the queries actually say.

If you open an HTM file as text then change the formatting to TNR, you have
indeed changed the formatting

Graham: I DID NOT DO THAT.

By overriding the default font in the plain text style (which as you have
indicated you cannot do)

I *DID* do it. As I've reported previously. The plain text style in my
Normal.dot is defined to use TNR.

As others have reported before you, Word is not the ideal tool for editing
html files

Really. I don't know what their objections might have been. Word 2000 always
suited me perfectly fine for editing html files.

frankly for a plain text document I for one wouldn't want it changed.

What can I say? We have different preferences. This is an inquiry about
buggy, inconsistent behavior in Word 2003, and whether there's a way to
avoid it.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Uriel wrote:
Graham, I'm afraid you're still missing my points.

OK I'll concede that

Select 'plain text'. This will open the document in the manner you
have described.

I know that. I did that. But the problem that follows is described in
"Puzzle #1" in my earlier post (below).

OK

Word will let you format that document with any font you like, but
if you save it as plain text all that formatting will be lost,
because plain text doesn't support that.

I know that. No problem. I have no intention of applying formatting
to an .HTM file that I open, edit, and save as plain text.

If you open an HTM file as text then change the formatting to TNR, you have
indeed changed the formatting to use a proportional font. This is no problem
at all if you then intend saving as a Word document, but plain text does not
support font information of any kind. It stores only the underlying text.

If you change the plain text style to use Times Roman font then
select all the document and press CTRL+Space to apply it to the
document.

But why is this necessary? Why does Word apply direct font formatting
immediately after opening an .HTM file with conversion option "plain
text"?

You would have to ask Microsoft's programmers, but it is presumably because
plain text documents do not contain proportional font information. By
overriding the default font in the plain text style (which as you have
indicated you cannot do) Word substitutes a monospaced font - courier new.
You can apply the changes you have made to the style by using the CTRL+A
CTRL+Space if that is what you want. There does not seem to be any way round
this - and frankly for a plain text document I for one wouldn't want it
changed.

the above proviso remains, the plain text format does not support

You said this before. And I answered: Word permits defining the
"plain text" style to use TNR. So what do you mean by "does not
support"?

Answered (I hope) above

select the document in the file open window and from the down arrow
alongside the Open button select 'open with Word'.

Why would I do that?? It's exactly the same as simply clicking the
Open button directly.

That rather depends on what you default settings are for opening htm files
and what filters you have present. If opening directly works for you, then
that's fine.

As others have reported before you, Word is not the ideal tool for editing
html files, which I presume this is what lies behind your query. If you find
it such a big deal that you cannot edit your plain text files in Word using
a proportional font without forcing the changes in the style as described,
then the following macro attached to a toolbar button will do it for you at
a click.

Sub PlaintoTNR()
Selection.WholeStory
Selection.Font.Reset
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
End Sub

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Plain text is a document format containing only characters in the
ASCII character set. If you open an HTML document with the plain text
filter (select the document in the file open window and from the down
arrow alongside the Open button select 'open with Word'. You will be
presented with a bunch of file open options. Select 'plain text'.
This will open the document in the manner you have described.

Word will let you format that document with any font you like, but if
you save it as plain text all that formatting will be lost, because
plain text doesn't support that. If you change the plain text style
to use Times Roman font then select all the document and press
CTRL+Space to apply it to the document. However the above proviso
remains, the plain text format does not support proportional fonts.

Uriel wrote:
Sorry, but I don't understand your points. Maybe I should be clearer
that I *want* to open the .HTM as plaintext -- i.e. I want to see
ihtml formatting codes/i. (I want to see "i" rather than have
Word show the text formatted as italics.)

You say "Plain text cannot use proportional fonts like TNR." But Word
permits me to modify the "Plain Text" style to use TNR.

Also don't know what you mean by text filter. Is my installation
missing a component? As mentioned, "Text file" is offered as a
conversion option when I select a .TXT file in the File/Open
dialogue.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
1. Plain text cannot use proportional fonts like TNR, so you are not
going to succeed with this.
2. You should be able to use the old filter (which was removed for
security considerations). The text filter is linked from the
downloads page of my web site. Whether it will do what you want is
another matter entirely. You may also need the old htm filter. I
don't have a link for that one, but if you still have access to the
Word 2000 equipped machine .......

Uriel wrote:
Puzzle #1: With Word 2003, when I open a file using the "Plain text"
file conversion option, Word assigns the "Plain Text" style to each
paragraph, which is not surprising; but it also applies direct font
formatting (confirmed via Reveal Formatting) so that the font is
Courier New even though I've redefined the "Plain Text" style to use
Times Roman.

Puzzle #2: In Word 2000, I used to routinely open .HTM files with
the "Text file" conversion option. This option is no longer
presented as an option in Word 2003 when I select an .HTM file to
open. (It *is* presented as an option when I select a .TXT file.)