Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default unnumbered footnote?

It worked!!!

(Keyboard shortcut for Hidden text: Ctrl-Shift-H. I once printed out
the table of all the built-in keyboard shortcuts but don't know how I
found it.)

On Jan 22, 10:03*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
It hasn't been that long ago that I learned you could intersperse "custom"
footnotes with numbered ones. It works well if you want to use numbered
footnotes to document sources and use asterisks and daggers for content
(another approach is to use endnotes for source documentation and footnotes
for substantive notes), or I suppose you could use them for tables (though I
prefer to do those manually and put them in the merged bottom row of the
table).

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message

I really do learn something new every day. :-)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:50:02 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"

wrote:

Use a "custom" footnote. These are outside the numbering scheme for
ordinary
footnotes. Usually you'd use this to create a footnote with an asterisk or
the like, and you can still do that (many articles actually use an
asterisk
for the purpose), but if you don't want any reference mark at all, just
use
an asterisk (or anything else) and format it as Hidden both in the text
and
in the footnote.

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.