Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Default Change paper size; Word changes to invalid margins

I say again that this is not really a Word problem. I can certainly do
custom sizes smaller using a Canon printer driver. Maybe your printer driver
is corrupt or out of date. Check to see if there is a newer driver and then
delete and reinstall the driver.

Word has not change the margins to an invalid value off its own bat: it is
the printer driver that determines these settings and NOT Word. Where does
Word blame the user?

Surely IGNORE needs no definition. It means the same in any version of the
English Language.

Printable Area is defined as 'Area that is Printable'. Every printer (well
standard home/office printers) has a narrow unprintable area around the page
(unprintable border). Older InkJets had a huge unprintable area at the
bottom of the page, but usually the unprintable area these days is around
5mm all around the page.

If you want to print to the edge of a page, you need to go to a print shop
where they have printers that 'bleed' to the edges. (Many Photo Printers
have an option to print photo to the edges of special paper though.)

Terry

"OhioTech" wrote in message
: Word is not helpful in these ways:
: Term "printable area" in message is not found in Word Help.
: Word did not provide way for user to get additional information.
: Word did not explain effect of clicking Ignore option.
: Word tells user to click Fix to resolve problem, but it does not resolve
problem; instead
: Word changed margins to INVALID values for paper size of 7 x 9, then
: Word blames user for choosing bad values.
:
: This is NOT user friendly!
:
: I checked with the printer manual; it states custom sizes are OK; just
load
: paper on right side. I printed an Excel sheet on 7 x 9 paper. The printer
: printed the info and advanced the paper thru. That's exactly what I
expected.
: If it can do this, I'd say the print driver supports 7 x 9 paper.
:
: I wouldn't think that a paper size smaller than standard 8.5 x 11 should
be
: a problem. If the print driver supports 8.5 x 11, what's the problem with
: smaller size? The printed image starts at upper left corner as we see it
on
: screen, and transferred to actual paper as it is driven thru the printer.
:
: I would think this would be a "piece of cake" for Word.
: I'm greatly disappointed.
: