Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deejay Deejay is offline

Default Userinitials not updating automatically

Thank you for your reply.

This is a quote from the Help file which is not quite true:

Control how fields are updated
By default, Word automatically updates fields when a document is opened.
That way, information stays up to date.

My file is being created by another program which copies files rather than
creates new ones from templates. What I would like to do is an autoopen macro
which first checks the value and then decides with an if statement whether to
update or not. But how do I refer to a specific field in the macro? In Excel
it's easy because everything is in a cell with its own number, but how do you
point to a specific field in Word?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Simply opening an existing document will not normally cause the field to
update (creating a new document with such a field will create the document
with the current information). If you want to force an update to the fields
in the document every time you open the document, then in its template,
create an autoopen macro (or add to any existing autoopen macro) with the
update code from http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Deejay wrote:
I have a field which has USERINITIALS but which does not update
unless I press F9. According to the Word help it should update
automatically when the file is opened. So am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!