exasperated

Default Not responding on closing error

Word hangs when I try to close the program. Either there is an error message
"MS Word has encountered an problem and needs to close" or there is no
message and I must try to close it using the TaskBar whereupon the message is
the "the program is not responding" in case I had not noticed.
This is a new problem. I have regularly sent in error reports with no
response. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, run the repair utility, renamed
and recreated the normal.dot file, sacrificed chickens to the computer gods,
all to no avail. Short of buying an Apple - what next?