Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisM ChrisM is offline

Default Word 2002 - slow with large documents

A bit of a bodge I suppose, but it might help.(Depends if you are writing
new pages or adding to/changing ones).

How about creating a new empty document to type new stuff into. Then
periodically, or even (ideally) when you get back to your kick a** computer
at home, copy and paste the newly written stuff into your big document.

Cheers,

Chris.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi Sid

sid derra wrote:
[..]
can any of the following have an effect on this behavior?
- number of styles
- number of bookmarks
- number of fields
- number of graphics/objects
- macros? (i have one macro, that allows me to update all fields at once)
- multiple languages (2 pages are set to German, the rest is English)

The number of styles in itself should not be a problem. The biggest
problem with styles is not quite state-of-the-art setup (outline) numbered
styles, but that usually results in undesired numbering sequences and not
in slow motion. [If the document or the underlying template has a long
history and you suspect that there might be something wrong with its list
templates, you can use a short line of code simply to count them.]

The biggest issue you are facing are probably your excel obejcts. If you
really inserted them through Insert | Object, that is "expensive" in terms
of size and speed.

I would suspect that the prime factor you are so much slower now than at
home is -- RAM. 2 Gig is really nice, halve of one is not something I
would want to face with a large document. I have no idea about the
feasibility to add more RAM to your laptop, but it might be worth it.

Try working in Normal View, this can help a lot.

HTH
Robert