Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Excluding words from Dictionary

I assume you have quit and restarted Word since creating the exclusion
dictionary?

"gingerpeach123" wrote in message
news
I have been trying to build an exclude dictionary with the help
instructions
in Word 2003 and the file
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...ordFromDic.htm, but so far I
cannot get it to work. I have placed my file of words to exclude, called
MSSP3EN.exc, into the folder C:\Documents and
Settings\(myname)\Application
Data\Microsoft\Proof. (The file custom.dic is clearly there as well.) When
close Word, reopen it, and type a document with the excluded words, none
of
them are picked up. If I type a few nonsense words, they are picked up as
always.

I'm guessing there's something simple that I'm doing wrong but I
absolutely
cannot figure out what! Any thoughts as to what I should check?

Thanks!
================

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I think you misread the article. The path you cite is the one for the
.lex
file; the only reason you are looking for that is to determine its name.
Your .exc file must be in the same location as your Custom.dic and must
have
the same prefix as the .lex file. For example, my exclusion dictionary
(which works) is Mssp3en.exc and is in C:\Documents and Settings\Suzanne
S.
Barnhill\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof.

so
all may benefit.

"Simon 1972" wrote in message
Jay, hi there,
Thank you for the link.
I followed that (couldn't see any major difference from the MS Word
Help,
though).

I have two folders containing the Word dictionary (MS Word came as part
of
MS Works Suite 2003):
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works

So just in case:
a) I put the .EXC file in both folders,
b) I restarted my PC.

Still no luck. MS Word still accepts the word "thx" .
I must be doing something wrong but I cannot see what.

--
Simon 1972

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:04:06 -0800, "Simon 1972"
wrote:

I want to exclude some words from the MS Word dictionary. I found
this

topic
in the MS Word Help "Specify a preferred spelling for a word" and

followed it
but it did not work.

Can someone tell me what I need to do?

System details: MS Word 2002, UK region