sf

Sorry if this is a duplicate... not sure if my first send post was
sent. That's what happens when posting from an internet interface.

sigh

Terry - this isn't the time for sarcasm. I'm a teacher and those
computers were donated years ago and the floppy drive isn't external -
do there is no option to use something else more up to date. I am too
conservative to consider that an EXTERNAL CD-RW is the answer to my
problem.

YES - floppies are ancient technology, as are the computers I'm having
trouble with... does this mean you're going to donate some modern
technology to my classroom so you won't need to scoff at my
situation?????

I tried to reformat the floppy on the computer that didn't like it and
it gave me a message as the floppy was a damaged. The other two
computers didn't reject it, but when I transfered the floppy to my "new
technology" computer that usually reads such old technology, the floppy
didn't have any information on it. Maybe the floppy was flawed, but it
was straight out of the same box that has produced other floppies that
worked on those computers - so maybe it's a factory problem, in that
case. I was hoping for a little more insight... does this mean you
think 3 computers are suddenly out of alignment or the computer reading
it is out of alignment?

I'm unclear about reading directly from a floppy drive. Can you
understand that in the entire time I've used floppies I've done that
without any problem EVER? I know what you mean by direct write, but
I'm unclear what you mean by direct read. I've never heard of saving a
file to HD before reading, but my problem was that the files didn't
appear on the floppy in the first place - so that wasn't an option.

Glad you brought up ancient technology though. My old/home win98
finally died this week (haven't given the HD a good, christian burial
though, because I need to recover data). Soooo looking at new comptuer
options - I see that an internal floppy isn't an option in many cases.
I have lots of floppies that I need to read and I want an internal
floppy drive, but it isn't available with a lot of the Dell options.
:\

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My BIG question is about the other drive/s. I'm thinking the
DVD-RW/DVD option with appropriate software is the option I should
choose (otherwise it wouldn't be an option), but I need to know the
situations I would need it for.

Are you up to helping me with things like selecting dual/single channel
SDRAM?

I'm thinking of selecting (OS) XP-Pro, because it would be convienent
to be able to access my work computer from home and vice versa... but I
only want "Home Office" because I need Power Point, but don't need
anything fancier than Word and Excel beyond that.

Any feedback?

Thanks
sf
````````

TF wrote:
If this was a preformatted disc, it would suggest that the drive you

tried
it on is out of alignment. I expect that if you did a full format of

the
floppy on that drive, I expect it would have worked. Floppies are

mechanical
and very ancient technology.

However, don't do it. You should NEVER save or read a document

directly
from/to a floppy. Always use the HDD and then COPY to or from the

floppy.

The best solution is to throw away the floppy drive and use something

designed for the 21st Century.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that I

knew
: was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a

different
: computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong with the
: computer that won't let me save to removable disk?
:
: sf