Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Word 2007 - mailmerge, live update of recipients

There is certainly a problem with Word 2007 (possibly with Vista) to do
with data files on network drives that did not exist in earlier
versions. Whether there is a solution, or precisely what that might be,
I cannot tell for sure.

Things you may be able to check include:
a. are the "users that work" also using Vista, or are they using XP?
b. do you have the same permissions as the "users that work" to both
the file and the folder, and the network share?
c. do you have the same settings in Internet Explorer under
Tools-Internet Settings-Security as the "users that work"? In
particular, select Local Intranet click the Sites button, and compare
settings there. (For example, if I do not select Automatically detect
intranet network" or the first of the three options, I get all sorts of
problems even opening the data source, although that does look like a
different problem to me)
d. if your organisation uses a proxy server, it is worth checking
whether you have different settings from the others. I'm sorry, I don't
know much about that.
e. there may be a difference in behaviour depending on whether you
access your network folder via a Windows network share (e.g. using a UNC
pathname such as \\server\share\filename.ext) or using a mapped drive
letter such as Z:, depending on the settings in (b)

I believe that one of the things that happened in Word 2007 /in
conjunction with Vista/ is that software works in a different way with
files it thinks are "from the Internet". In some cases, a local copy is
made of the file (whereas with a file on a traditional network share,
you would expect the 'original" file to be opened. You may have seen
messages with odd file names such as H2345675 and so on - these are
local copies.

Something I have not tried on the "proxy" front but which you may be
able to experiment with is as follows:

1. Go IE-Tools-Internet Options-Connections-LAN settings
2. Set up a fake proxy as follows
3. Click the Proxy Server checkbox. Set the address to "fake proxy"
without the quotes, and the port to 80.
4. Click the "Bypass proxy server for local addresses" checkbox.
5. Click Advanced and put an * in the Exceptions list to cause all
addresses (including external ones) to be bypassed.

That should only be for experimental purposes - it is not a secure solution.

This solution is taken from:
http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/arc...2007-site.aspx

clearly, that isn't to do with Word, but I believe some of the issues
may be the same.

Another approach described in there is - in effect - to install Office
in Windows XP compatibility mode.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 24/11/2009 22:01, Nadine wrote:
Performing a mail merge, edit recipients, add a new recipient, complete the
merge.

When close out of the form letter, and prompts to save the data source, file
is read only unable to save the added recipient.

But if go directly into the data source, add a row, manually add the
receiptant, no problems saving the file

Both form letter and data source are stored on a network drive. Both word
documents, tried convert up to 2007 tested, same unable to save changes to
the data source.

Running Vista Enterprise with Office 2007.

Other users in office have no problems using the same merge files, and can
perform a live update of the data source without problems.

Tried giving user local administrator rights and running word as
administrator, try the merge with live update, still unable to save the data
source file is read only. No one else has the data source file open at the
time doing the mail merge.

I'm stumped.
Help