Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Default window title file name

It's been a long year

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The separate windows in Word 2000 were *not* separate instances of
Word. Quoting from a MS training doc:

"Other Office 2000 applications (Microsoft Access, Excel and
PowerPoint) handle SDI slightly different [sic] than Word 2000. They
utilize a modified version of SDI. Documents are trapped in an MDI
frame, but are listed in the task bar individually. You can ALT + TAB
through the documents."

"SDI cannot be disabled in Word 2000 because it is the basis for the
Word 2000 application and uses 'true' SDI. However, other Office
applications that do not utilize 'true' SDI can disable it by
removing the checkmark next to the option Windows in Taskbar."

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The Windows in taskbar option was introduced with Word XP (2002). It
was not present in Word 2000. If you had separate Word windows open
in Word 2000, they were separate independent instances of Word. Word
2000 operated like Word 2003 with the taskbar option unchecked. The
separate windows in Word 2003 are part of the same instance of Word
and behave like you have described.

gbp wrote:
If I uncheck "windows in the taskbar" all the windows open in one
single window.
I would like to keep that option. I am refering to Office 2000.
Where you open each word file in a separate window and minimize it.
In Office 2003 when I open a document the following is happening
1.it restores a minimized word document
2.then invokes a new word window
3.the document is openend in the new word window.
4. Now I have two word documents that are visible on the desktop.

I wanted only the second one to be on my screen.
Is there a work around

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Those older versions of Word did not have the Windows in the
taskbar facility of Word 2002/3, so that (normal) behaviour
couldn't occur. To make Word behave like the older versions -
tools options view
uncheck Windows in taskbar.

gbp wrote:
Suzanne
Now I have a new problem , which I never had in Office 2000 , or
word 95 /
97...
I open a first document a.doc by double clicking the file , then
minimize the window.
After that I open a second document b.doc by double clicking the
file. The first word document window gets restored when the second
document gets opened.
This is a strange behaviour that I never saw.
Do you know the solution ?
Really appreciates your help.

"gbp" wrote:

Thanks Suzanne,
I tried to fix it from the explorer folder options , it didn't
work. Then I tried your winword /r command to register the word.
Now the title shows the file name.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suspect that you are opening these documents from Windows
Explorer instead of Word and that the file associations have
been damaged so that the default action for documents is New
instead of Open. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm for
instructions on reregistering Word to reset the file
associations. If this is not the answer, then you may have a
virus that is causing Word to save all files as templates
instead of documents.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"gbp" wrote in message
When I open any word document the title of the document is
changing to "Document1" instead of the file name.
Can anyone help me with this issue for Office 2003.

Detailed Problem

If you open a document called "request form.doc" , the title
of the window should be "request form". But my Word window
title is changing to "Document1"