Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Jstammer,

I'll work on a document all day long and customize my tables using a
custom formatted Table Style. Things go better some days than others,
but ultimately, I'll save the document or email it to someone and

when
I open it again or it's sent back to me, all my table formatting
disappears!

did you create your own style, or modify a built-in one?

Also frustrating is that sometimes I've applied additional shading
after the table style is set. This formatting will go away when I
reapply the style.

This is to be expected.

One more weird behavior with tables (I don't know if it's related or
not). Often, out of nowhere, all the text in my tables will change to
something weird. I found a way to fix this...If I go to "Reveal
Formatting." I see the table style has somehow changed to a paragraph
style (e.g., Section Heading). To fix it, I select everything that
already has that style and assign a new style, then delete the
original. By doing this, the table formatting goes back to normal.

This, I would not expect. A table style cannot be linked to a paragraph
style. I would look for the problem elsewhere. Perhaps "char" styles
are being created in your document, for example, and the paragraph or
a character style that was used in your table has been linked
inadvertently to another style.

FWIW, a table will always reflect the paragraph style applied to the
current paragraph, when the table was created. If this is not the
NORMAL stlye, then the font formatting in the table style will not
appear. So, make sure you're always in a Normal paragraph before
creating a table and applying a style to it.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org