Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Jodzeee,

The style was created from scratch.

Can you tell me more about the char styles? Sometimes when I'm finished
formatting a document and I send it back to my client, when I get it
back after they've edited it, the styles suddenly become char styles
and even the heading styles get crazy, long names.

It sounds like you're exchanging documents with people who don't use Word
2002 or 2003. Table styles were new in Word 2002, so if a document is
opened in an earlier version, all the table style information is lost.
That would also explain why the "char" is appearing when you get these
documents back. Word 2002/2003 will generate the "char", but not show it
to you (unless you go to Tools/Templates and Addins/Organizer and look at
the list of styles).

"Char" styles are generated when you select text - with no paragraph mark
included in the selection - and then apply a paragraph style. The program
assumes you want to apply the paragraph formatting to just some text, and
creates a character style, linked to the paragraph style, so that both
styles will always have the same font formatting.

When using styles, be careful to apply paragraph styles only to entire
paragraphs, or when no text is selected (then a paragraph style will
automatically be applied only to the one paragraph).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org