Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tmele

Default Word Not Responding

1) changing the registry did not fix my problem.
2) killing the hp processes hpgs2wnd.exe and hpgs2wnf.exe in the task
manager also did not work.
3) renaming Normal.dot to Normal.old and letting Word create a new
Normal.dot never came to play, because I could not locate Normal.dot in my
search requests.

Resolution:

1) I deleted the security update KB908531.
2) I uninstalled MS Office and reinstalled it.
3) Now I am working again, but without KB908531.
--
Thanks, T. Mele

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165

This time actually read it and do what it says.

"tmele" wrote in message
Charles,
Thanks,
I want to mention one other thing. I was prompted about a week ago about

Normal.dot problem. When I selected "yes", because I had selected "no"
several times and there was no change....that is when things got worse.

I have searched my hard drive and I have no Normal.dot file, anywhere.
I have read, on several of the sites you sent me, the Normal.dot file is

the
"grandaddy of templates," yet I can not find it.

One site said I should find it under C:\Documents and Settings\applicaion
data\microsoft\templates

But I do not have this.

My Microsoft Office Group is in C:\Docoments & Settings\All Uusers\Start
Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office

Please let me know your thoughts, I have a really important meeting

tomorrow
and I need to review a contract. Thanks for your help.

Before I start to learn about changing registry items, is this something I
should look into?

--
Thanks, T. Mele

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

There is no download that you run. You need to make changes in your
registry.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"tmele" wrote in message
Dear Garfield-n-odie,
I ran the download and it did not fix the problem. As soon as I try

open
a word document, it goes right into "Not Responding."

P.S. I changed my display name because I did not want my email to be
displayed.

--
Thanks, T. Mele

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 "Problems in Windows
Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update
MS06-015".

wrote:

I have read several posts with the same or similar problem, but I

was
not
sure if it was exactly the same.

I have un-installed MS Office Small Business and re-installed.

Then I
followed the directions and installed all available downloads from

the
web.

I am running XP Professional, SP2.

I can not find the KB908531 to un-install, as was mentioned in

several
of
the posts I read, or I would have tried that. I also was unsure

about
clicking on the link in one of the posts that referred to MS06-015,
because
it mentioned that it could cause other problems. Please help.