Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Problem with cutting/pasting using Ctrl shortcuts

If that doesn't fix it, rename normal.dot to oldnormal.dot.

abbagirl wrote:
Thanks Suzanne, I'll definately give that a try!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Open Tools | Customize and click Keyboard... With any command
selected (it doesn't matter which), type Ctrl+A into the box for
"Press new shortcut key," then see what is displayed for "Currently
assigned to." It should be EditSelectAll. If it's not, select All
Command in the Categories list, scroll down to EditSelectAll and
type Ctrl+A in the box and click Assign. Repeat for Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V,
etc., to assign the correct commands.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"abbagirl" wrote in message
yes, the Ctrl functions seem to work in other areas, for instance i
just tried it on this post and it highlighted it with Ctr A...it
just isn't working at all in word, none of the Ctrl
functions...Ctrl A is not even highlighting anything...it just sits
there and then makes a beep noise

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Which part doesn't work?
CTRL+A should highlight all the document.
CTRL+C should copy tyhe highlighted text to the clipboard.
CTRL+V should paste the clipboard contents at the cursor.

Does CTRL+A and CTRL+C work in other applications?

Work through the trouble shooting tips at
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

abbagirl wrote:
I use alot of Word docs in my transcription job and was always
able to copy/paste these docs into my job's inbox by just
clicking inside the document (usually many pages worth) and then
doing Ctrl A and then Ctrl C, which of course highlighted the
entire doc in blue and then I could paste it into where it needed
to go....

Recently, however, for no reason whatsoever and I have done
nothing new to my Word system, this does not work....all i get is
a "boink" type sound when I try to do this. And nothing happens.
I really need this function, as now I am having to do the
highlight thing with the mouse and then hold and tab up and this
is taking alot of needless time!

Any thoughts as to why and how to get back this feature of
copying and pasting using the Ctrl A and C buttons? I just now
tried the Word "help" feature and went to their shortcuts section
and it said to use Ctrl C and then Ctrl V but even this is not
working.....

any thoughts or help is appreciated. Please email me privately
as I get the messages faster!

thanks!