Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

Default How to get a correct 'date sort' -- 'year' priority, not 'month'

You didn't identify your word version.

The table sort feature allows you to specify your sort type as a date sort
(ascending/descending).

You may be getting inconsistent results because you are sorting by text or
number vice date sorting.
You may also be getting inconsistent sorting because the data in your date
columns do not use consistent formatting.

All of your dates should have the same format.

Your posting shows examples, of date entries that list only mm/dd vice
m/dd/yy or mm/dd/yyyy. If you want to sort by year then all date entries
should use a yy or yyyy.

--
Tom Conrad

"Steve_Ray" wrote:

I need to sort a table several different ways to create different 'views.'
One of these is by 'date,' which has a dedicated column. The date format
used is 'numeric,' i.e., e.g., 3/04, 12/07, etc.

I'm finding, however, that when I sort with that column prioritized, the
sort uses the 'month' rather than the 'year,' so the results are not correct.

How do I get WORD to use the 'year' as the main sort spec, with the 'month'
used as the secondary sort spec?

Thanks.