I think we need to know a bit more about what has actually happened here.
Did you purchase a computer with Works Suite (which includes Word) and then
apply an Office service pack to update the copy of Word in Works Suite? Or
did you install a later version of Office on the computer on which Works
Suite was already installed? If the latter, then one of two things happened:

1. Word 2002 (part of Works Suite) was updated to Word 2003.

2. The rest of Office 2003 was installed, but Word was not updated.

I know that when you install the *same* version of Office over Works Suite,
Word is not changed (it's still the Word from Works Suite, which still has a
different CD key from the rest of Office), but I would expect that a newer
version would in fact install Word 2003 over Word 2002. This would
effectively prevent you from using Word as part of Works Suite any more.
Here's why:

When you get Word as part of Works Suite, you also get the Microsoft Works
Suite Add-in for Word. As long as you start Word from within Works (using
the Works Task Launcher), you get a bunch of extra templates for Word, and
you can use the Works address book and databases as mail merge data sources
in Word. If you run Word freestanding (not starting it from within Works),
you run into a lot of problems caused by the add-in, so we generally advise
people to uninstall the add-in.

If you are now using Word 2003, there is no way for it to use the Works
address book and databases because the add-in doesn't work with Word 2003.
Nor can you use the Outlook Express address book. The only address book Word
can use is the Contacts list in Outlook.

"Luci" wrote in message
Since I purchased Mirosoft Works Suite, Word was updated to Office by
Microsoft. I cannot seem to use mail merge. Any ideas?