Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Tabbing through fields - how?

OK. As you've seen, Word has no good "indicator"; for example, for text form
fields, pressing Tab will just select the contents of the next field, but
the selection obviously disappears once you start typing.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Larryq22" wrote in message
By "tab indicator" I mean the way you can tell which field you're on as
you
tab through the form. In some forms the fields turn slightly gray as you
tab
past them, or they're underlined, or something - just to indicate which
field
(radio button, etc) the user is currently on.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your question... What do you mean by "tab
indicator" in this context?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Larryq22" wrote in message
Thanks Stefan! Now it works - for the most part. The only problem is
that
usually, while tabbing through the fields, I cannot see the tab
"indicator"
(in this case it seems to be a vertical black bar type character).
tried making the fields larger on the original form but that didn't
help.
Any ideas? Thanks, Larry

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

After you've clicked the Legacy Tools button, do this: Under "Legacy
Forms,"
choose the kind of field that you want to insert (rest the mouse
pointer
on
each choice to see a brief description); for example, click Text Form
Field
to insert a field where text can be inserted. Note that you will have
protect the document before you can actually tab between the fields.

To protect the document: On the Developer tab, click Protect Document

Restrict Formatting and Editing. In the task pane, click "Filling in
forms"
(under "Editing restrictions"). Finally, press the Yes, Start
Enforcing
Protection button. Type a password, if you want one.

To edit the form, use the Stop Protection button on the Restrict
Editing
and
Formatting pane.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Larryq22" wrote in message
This is for Graham Mayor, but anyone who knows can answer. I
created a
form
in word 2007 with radio buttons, fill-in text fields, etc - but I'm
having
trouble setting it up so the user can tab through the fields.
Graham
indicated the Developer/Legacy Tools section can be used for this -
great -
can you tell me which button command to use?

Thanks,
Larry

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You can do all of that - the old form field tools are on the
Developer
Toolbar (which you will have to activate if you have not already
done
so
from Word Options) in the group of legacy tools.

BorisS wrote:
I am using '07, but need to create a form that users going back
some
versions could use. I need the following functionality:

1) password protection to make sure no one changes anything but
the
fields (I believe this is the "protect document" feature
2) lock down all non-form features (imagine this is part of what
"protect document" does)
3) allow tabbing from form element to form element (unsure how
this
is
accomplished)
4) allow saving as older versions

Am I able to do the above, on an already-created document, which
is
saved in 'compatibility mode'?

Thanks for any insights. Realized after agonizing over creating
form
fields in my adobe version of this doc, that users can only save
their edits if they have professional version of acrobat, not
just
reader. So I need a better mousetrap for this one.