WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Numbering paragraphs - 1.1.1, 1.1.2 and so on

Hi Scott,

To achieve the numbering format you want in Word 2007, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the text you want to format as a heading (e.g. "yyyyy" or "aaaa").
  2. In the Styles group on the Home tab, click on the Heading 2 style (or whichever heading level you want to modify).
  3. Right-click on the Heading 2 style and select Modify.
  4. In the Modify Style dialog box, click on the Format button at the bottom left and select Numbering.
  5. In the Numbering dialog box, select the numbering format you want (e.g. "1, 2, 3..." or "I, II, III...").
  6. Click on the More button to expand the dialog box.
  7. In the Link level to style drop-down menu, select the heading level that should come before this one (e.g. "Heading 1" for "Heading 2").
  8. In the Enter formatting for number box, enter the format you want for this heading level (e.g. "1.1" or "A.B.C.").
  9. Click OK to close all the dialog boxes.

Repeat these steps for each heading level you want to modify. This should give you the numbering format you're looking for.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can help you with!