Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How to: Page 1 - two columns, Page 2(ff) - one column

If the section break falls at the bottom of the page (as desired), then the
columns will be balanced by virtue of the fact that the section break has
been inserted where the page is filled with both columns. But this is really
difficult to do, and unless a paragraph ends where the page breaks, it
probably will be necessary to use a Continuous break.

"DeanH" wrote in message
Of course you can always have a section break instead of a page break,
whatever is necessary for the document structure.
I tend to have a Continuous break after Columns to help balance the
columns
lengths, I have found that this tends not to happen with a New Page
Section
Break.
As with most things in Word (and other MS products) there is usually more
than one way to skin-a-cat
TTFN
DeanH

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"DeanH" wrote:

When you say "move the section break to keep the formatting as desired"
do
you mean the text in section 2 needs to be moved, ie to the start of
the next
page?
If so, either insert a page break just after the Continuous break, or
apply

???
Why not just insert a Next Page Section Break instead of a Page Break
after
a Continuous Section Break? (You can convert a Continuous Section Break
to a