Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rosemary Rosemary is offline

Default Styles and Auto Numbering

Hi,

What is the best way to apply styles and auto numbering to existing text?

We frequently paste special documents that have come from outside sources
into a blank screen and then have to format them. We style the doc primarily
to create a TOC. Our IT people have asked us to create custom styles, and
not to modify Word's default styles. So we don't use Word's Heading styles
because we're not allowed to modify them.

I know how to create and modify styles, and set up auto numbering and link
levels to styles. I generally set up the styles first, then set up all
levels of numbering and link them to their respective styles.

Where I have problems is applying the styles and numbering to existing text.
If you need more specific about the problems, I can illustrate.

Thanks,
Rose