Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Delete a table row when mergefield is blank??

While outside of a table (or within just one cell of a table) you can
prevent a blank line from occuring, as I said, you cannot get it to delete a
row from a table.

Do you have to use a table?

If you must use a table, you would need to use a "roll-your-own" equivalent
to mail merge using VBA.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"NaBellFL" wrote in message
Thanks for the response, I definitely learned something new. But, my
table
rows are already established in my form letter (example below). I don't
believe I can use your IF statement or if I can I don't understand how.
Any
other help would be greatly appreciated.

{mergefield matter_name}
Co. Claim No. {mergefield matsup_courtno}
Co. File No. {mergefield matsup_cofile}
Suit File No. {mergefield matsup_suitfile}
Unit No. {mergefield matsup_unitno}
Policy No. {mergefield matsup_policyno}
Insured {mergefield r_insured_1_fullemp}
Date of Incident {mergefield matsup_lossdate}
Our File No. {mergefield matter_matcode}

Dear {mergefield recipient_salutation}:

"macropod" wrote:

Hi NaBellFL,

You could achieve what you're after by placing the various mergefields on
the same line with all except the first one embedded in IF
tests coded like:

{IF{MERGEFIELD matsup_cofile} "" "¶
{MERGEFIELD matsup_cofile}"}

where the '¶' is a proper paragraph mark or line-feed. That way, only the
mergefields that have something in them will generate a
new line. No need for a macro.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created
via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message.

--
Cheers
macropod

"NaBellFL" wrote in message
I create a form letter. The information of the letter is in a
table.
Example:
{mergefield matter_name}
Co. File No. {mergefield matsup_cofile }
Etc.

This document is then merged. If there is no data in the cofile field
of my
database I want to automoatically delete that table row from the merged
document.

I recorded a simple macro and created a toolbar button for it that the
user
can use to delete the row after the merge but I wanted to find out if
there
is a way to "nest" this macro in an If statement or something else???

I hope that clarifies what I am trying to do.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

That cannot be done using mail merge. Tell us exactly what you are
trying
to do.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"NaBellFL" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I have created a document which includes a
table.
In
each row I have placed my { mergefield }. When I merge the
document, if
there is no data for a field then I need the table row to be
deleted. Can
use an {If, then, else} statement to accomplish this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.