Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heidi

Default How do you delete figures without messing up all cross-referen

Cindy,

When I open in "safe mode" it doesn't do this. On my computer, the
disappearing cross-references problem only happens in this one file, however
my coworker says she has had it happen in some of her files too.

What is safe mode? Should we normally work in safe mode?

When I open Word normally (not safe mode), and delete a figure (and its
caption), the bookmarks for everything disappear (there are no hidden
bookmarks anymore).

With playing around with it, I discovered that if I delete the picture and
the caption separately, the problem doesn't happen. Only if I delete them
both at the same time....???

Thanks for your help - sorry Id idn't answer sooner, but was gone for the
holidays.

Cheers,
Heidi

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SGVpZGk=?=,

I'm using Word 2002-sp2
The error is: Error! Reference source not found.

Hmm. This shouldn't be happening. Is this in just the one document? Or does it
happen in all documents?

If you hold down the CTRL key while starting Word (to go into Safe Mode), then
try, does it still happen?

This sounds as if all the bookmarks are being removed from the document. Before
deleting a caption, go to Insert/Bookmark. click the "Hidden bookmarks"
checkbox a couple of times, until you see a list of bookmarks that begin with
an underscore, like _ref followed by a long number.

Now delete the one figure with its caption, so that the problem occurs. Go back
to the same dialog box and see if these bookmarks are still there (don't forget
to click the checkbox a few times)?

Whenever I remove a figure (select it and its caption and hit delete), every
cross-reference to any table or figure in my document reverts to an error
message (not just cross-references to the deleted figure).

Is there a more proper way to remove figures that won't mess up the
cross-references?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org