Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jimmy Jimmy is offline

Default Cursor doesn't "push" text forward

Thanks for the reponse. I can't say I agree with you about Suzanne's
"precise" solution. I do a lot of copy and pasting of text into Word
documents. As soon as you paste text, it over-rides the special/hanging and
everything goes back to the left margin, so I'm back to square one. I am
obviously not a student of Word, but it seems to have too many complicated
ways to do things that I think should be easier. If I was submitting anything
I created using Word to an editor or typesetter, I would learn how to use it
properly, but I'm far from that stage. I'm finished with this discussion.
Thanks everybody. Jimmy

"grammatim" wrote:

Suzanne diagnosed your solution precisely.

Go to Format | Paragraph | Indentation | Special | Hanging.

You can set this "hanging indent" in one of your styles, or it will be
followed in each successive paragraph until you select Normal style
again.

(Speaking as an editor and typesetter, it is a real nightmare when an
author tries to "format" paragraphs with spaces or tabs.)

On Feb 7, 5:04 pm, Jimmy wrote:
Dear Suzanne, thank you for your response. After a little more experimenting
I think I was incorrect in stating that hitting the "enter" key before the
"wrap" didn't allow me to "push" the next line. I know there is a reason why
you can't push a wrapped line with the spacebar but I can't figure what it
is. What difference does it make?! I used Herb's suggestion of Ctrl+Sh+8 and
I could then see the space bar "dots" trail off into infinity and beyond.
(Where do they go?!) Anyway, I may turn auto format back on and experiment
with the margin and indent thing some more. I turned it off because changing
numbers and doing other things was a big hassle and I don't use Word enough
to remember the steps. I number my paragraphs 1.2.3....etc. All I am trying
to do is make the lines past the first line be at about the same indent as
the first line. It sounds easy (and maybe it is) but I can't seem to figure
it out. I know. I know. Get "Word for Dummies". I'll tell you this much, I'll
be using Herb's Ctrl+Sh+spacebar over-ride with reckless abandon. What's not
to like? I can move my text where I want and it prints fine. Thanks again.
Jimmy.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You should be able to "push" the line with spaces after a paragraph break
(or line break), but you can't do it after a normal line wrap because the
spaces pile up at the end of the previous line. If you display nonprinting
characters, you'll see how this works. There is a Compatibility Option that
can change this ("Wrap trailing spaces to next line"), but I don't really
advise using that. Instead, depending on what you are trying to do, use a
hanging indent or some other spacing option.

"Jimmy" wrote in message
Dear Herb, thanks for the prompt reply. It is not an overtype issue, which
have dealt with in the past. The text in front of the cursor is not
getting
deleted. My issue is happening in a Word doc. I have Auto-format turned
off.
I'll type an example:

1. This is a sample of what happens when I try to "push"
the word "the" forward in this sentence.

In the example above, if I were to type the first line until the right
margin moved the text to the next line, or just pushed the "Enter" key
after
"push" and then placed the blinking bar in front of the second line
starting
word (the), the space bar would not advance the text forward. If I placed
the
blinking cursor between the letters t and h in the word "the", I could
then
push the h and all of the following text forward. Why can't I push
starting
at the beginning of the line? This is not a "corrupted" issue. It has
bugged
me in Office XP and Office 2003 also. Why doesn't the space bar work from
any
location?!?! Can I fix this? Thanks. Jimmy.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

What happens when you press the space bar or type other text? Does
existing
text in front of the cursor get deleted?

If so... then you're in Overtype mode. Press the Insert key to toggle
Overtype off. There should be an indicator at the bottom of the Word
window
in the status bar. You can also toggle Overtype on/off by clicking that
indicator. If you don't see it, then right click the status bar and
choose
Overtype.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"Jimmy" wrote in message
Hi. When I edit a Word doc and place the "blinking bar" in front of a
line
of
text (on the left margin) why doesn't the space bar push the text
forward?
If
I move the "blinking bar" after the first character in the line, the
space
bar works. I have Word 2007 but it's the same in all versions of Word.
Why
is
this? Is it possible to fix this so the space bar push text from the
beginning of the line? Thank you.